A sponsor is a business, community organization, college or university willing to organize and pay for a spelling bee program open to all schools in the designated area and to send the area's champion to the Scripps National Spelling Bee.
A no-frills local spelling bee program costs about $5,000 annually. The responsibilities of an official sponsor include the following:
- Organizing a final local spelling bee for the entire sponsored area
- Serving as the principal spelling bee contact for the sponsored area
- Recruiting a pronouncer, judges, officials and other volunteers for the final local spelling bee
- Securing a venue for the final local spelling bee
- Paying for and making the arrangements for the local champion's trip to the Scripps National Spelling Bee
- Paying an annual sponsorship fee
In some areas, sponsorship responsibilities are shared by two or more co-sponsors.
If you know of a business or community organization interested in becoming a sponsor, please have a representative contact us by completing our service request form here: www.spellingbee.com/contact.