A new way for spelling champions to compete in D.C.
RSVBee is a program launched by the Scripps National Spelling Bee before the 2018 Bee to provide an opportunity for more spellers to participate in the National Finals in the Washington, D.C. area. The invitational program provides an additional path for spelling champions to experience Bee Week and compete in the National Finals.
New this year: The Bee will send electronic invitations on a staggered basis according to each applicant’s previous participation or grade level.
Invitations will go out the week of March 25 to the following applicants:
- March 25 — applicants who previously competed in the Thursday portion of the national finals
- March 26 — applicants who previously competed in the Tuesday and/or Wednesday portion of the national finals
- March 27 — eighth-grade applicants
- March 28 — seventh-grade applicants
- March 29 — sixth-grade applicants and younger
Invitation recipients will have until April 1, or until all available RSVBee spots are filled — whichever comes first — to accept the invitation.
Unlike the inaugural year, in RSVBee’s second year, there is no point system for applicants to track and no advantage by submitting the application weeks or months before the deadline.