Get ready for the 2017-2018 Bee season!
Looking for some good books for your students to read this summer? The Bee's Great Words, Great Works reading list includes engaging, grade-appropriate books for elementary and middle school students. What's the best part? All of the words on the 2018 School Spelling Bee Study List will come from these books, which means your students can get ahead before we release the word list!
For any spelling bee:
- Read How to Study for a Spelling Bee by Scripps National Spelling Bee pronouncer, Dr. Jacques Bailly.
For a classroom, grade level or school-wide spelling bee:
- Step One: Students should first learn the 100 study words for their grade level from the 2018 School Spelling Bee Study List. Teachers at enrolled schools may obtain the study words by logging into spellingbee.com and clicking School Bee Materials, then Study Lists.
- Step Two: When your student masters the 100 grade-specific words in the 2018 School Spelling Bee Study List, she is ready to learn the study words for all other grade levels. There are a total of 450 words on the 2018 School Spelling Bee Study List.
- Step Three: When your students master the 450 study words for grade levels 1–8 they may get a head start on preparing for the next level of competition by learning the words in Spell It!
For a district, county, city, regional or state bee:
- Step One: Ensure your school spelling champion knows the 450 study words on the 2018 School Spelling Bee Study List (the 450 study words for grade levels 1–8).
- Step Two: When your school spelling champion masters the 450 study words on the 2018 School Spelling Bee Study List, he is ready to learn the words and do the activities in Spell It!
- Step Three: When your school spelling champion masters the 1,100+ words in Spell It! he is ready to expand his spelling skill set by playing the fun word games at Merriam-Webster's Word Central.