Enroll today and join the hive!
Enrollment for the 2023 Scripps National Spelling Bee has closed. Check back in August to enroll your school in next year's program!
Inspire a love of learning. Your students will...
Develop language skills and increase their vocabularies
Practice poise under pressure
Strengthen life skills including work ethic
Build confidence and have fun!
the A to Z of joining the Bee
Step 1: Educators enroll elementary and middle schools at spellingbee.com. Choose to participate with in-person, online and hybrid options. Enrollment is open from August 22, 2022, to January 31, 2023,* and costs $175 per school.
*Restrictions apply in some areas
Step 2: School Bee Coordinators access study materials and word lists through an online portal of resources and distribute these materials to other educators and students at their schools.
Step 3: Throughout the fall, educators administer classroom and school spelling bees using resources provided as part of spelling bee enrollment. Schools celebrate school champions who will head off to compete in the next round of their area's spelling bee program.
Step 4: School champions compete in regional qualifier and regional spelling bees sponsored by regional partners across the country.
Step 5: Regional champions study for the national competition and register for Bee Week, a week-long celebration of academic achievement filled with events and special programming.
Step 6: In May, spellers arrive in the Washington, D.C., area to take part in the Bee Week experience, and a national Champion is declared during a nationally televised live broadcast.
what do you receive for enrolling with the Bee?
For $175 per school, we provide everything you need to organize Classroom and School Spelling Bees plus the pathway for your School Champion to compete in your community's regional spelling bee program.
These resources are all found within the exclusive educators-only section of spellingbee.com and include:
- Official study lists for your students, organized by grade level and level of difficulty
- Official competition lists for use in conducting classroom and school spelling bees
- The Great Words, Great Works book list with all source books for words on the School Spelling Bee Study List, organized by reading level
- Words of the Champions, the 4,000-word study guide for school champions
- Access to the Online Testing Platform, a tool that gives educators the flexibility to administer a school spelling bee program via online spelling and vocabulary test (Available September 30)
- A one-year subscription to Britannica Online for Kids (a $74.95 value) to award to a participant in your school spelling bee program – enroll before September 30 for a second free subscription!
- Supplemental word meaning materials for classroom and school levels
- Customizable certificates for your participants and school champion
think you're already enrolled?
Enter your school's zip code below to check your enrollment status for the 2022-2023 school year.
giving students the words they need
"The Bee supports my goal to inspire students’ love of reading. There might be a child who doesn't want to pick up a book, but they'll dig into a list of words and a dictionary to figure out what they really mean."
—Courtney Sutton, fifth grade teacher at Austin Elementary School
bee-come your district's spelling champion
Enroll multiple schools from your district at once using our enrollment system and give even more students the resources to begin their spelling bee journey.